The VLDB Travel Fellowship Program provides financial support to students and faculty affiliated with universities with limited funding opportunities (e.g., universities in developing countries) to attend the VLDB conference. The long-term goal of the program is to encourage talented young scientists to pursue a career in database research.
They must also have a nominator (faculty advisor for student applicants, or senior faculty member or department head for faculty applicants), who will provide a recommendation letter. Both the form and letter must be submitted on or before June 30, 2014.
The information required on the online form includes:
1. Applicant's Email, Name, Institution, and Country
a. For Student applicants: Specifics of the program (major/specialization, graduate/undergraduate, full-time/part-time).
b. For faculty applicants: Current position, including number of years as a faculty member.
2. Details of papers accepted at VLDB 2014 if any.
3. Details of papers submitted to VLDB 2014 (but not accepted) if any.
4. List of other publications, fellowships, awards or honors earned.
5. List of conferences attended, if any, in the past 3 years.
6. Total estimated costs for attending VLDB 2014; you must give a breakup of the costs as travel, hotel, food, visa, etc. Please do not include registration fees as these will be covered by the Fellowship. Indicate other sources of funds if estimate exceeds US$1,500.
7. In 100 words or less, explain the reasons why you are interested in database research and how you would benefit from attending the VLDB conference. The form must be submitted online, please do not send it by email.
1. Nominator's Name.
2. Nominator's University/College and Position.
3. Name of applicant.
4. A justification (in 100 words or less) for why the applicant deserves to receive this fellowship.
5. A short note about availability/non-availability of other funding sources.